This project was inspired and modeled after Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now, which I consider to be a jazz song cycle describing the arc of a modern relationship. It is more than a concept album, which is really treating a single idea; whereas in this CD, it is a journey with a beginning, middle and end, that eventually cycles over again. I cannot escape my classical roots and this gave me the form I needed in which to choose the content. I wanted a framework of a very intimate jazz trio sound that was understated and elegant in which to tell the stories. It all begins and ends with the power of a dream. All the songs in some way reference a heavenly body, to convey the idea as Hamlet says to Horatio, “There are more things in heaven and earth… than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” (Act 1 Sc V).
All arrangements by Wells Hanley and Ken Greves, except
Nightingale and You Stepped Out of a Dream by Frank Ponzio and Ken Greves.
- Daydream 4:18 (Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn)
- A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square 4:54 (Manning Sherwin and Eric Maschwitz)
- Where Have You Been? 3:04 (Cole Porter)
- You Stepped Out of a Dream/Dearly Beloved 2:50
(Nacio Herb Brown and Gus Kahn/Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer)
- Everything I Have Is Yours 3:47 (Burton Lane and Harold Adamson)
- I Thought About You/My One & Only Love 4:46 (James Van Heusen and Johnny Mercer/Guy Wood and Robert Mellin)
- Witchcraft/That Old Black Magic 4:39 (Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh/ Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer)
- It Was Written in the Stars 3:00 (Harold Arlen and Leo Robin)
- Alone Together 3:56 (Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz)
- My Flame Burns Blue 4:50 (Billy Strayhorn and Elvis Costello)
- Day In, Day Out 2:29 (Rube Bloom and Johnny Mercer)
- There’s a Lull in My Life 5:40 (Harry Revel and Mack Gordon)
- Chelsea Bridge 5:06 (Billy Strayhorn)
- Someone to Light Up My Life 3:03 (Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes. English lyric by Gene Lees)
- Don’t Look Back 2:40 (Johnny Mandel and K. Lawrence Dunham)
- By Myself 2:58 (Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz)
Total running time: 62 minutes
Jazz Cat Productions, Inc.
206 West 104th Street | Suite 66 | New York, NY 10025
917-488-2094 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.KenGreves.com
© 2009 Jazz Cat Productions, Inc. All rights reserved.